Zoketsu Norman Fischer is an American poet, writer, and Soto Zen priest, teaching and practicing in the lineage of Shunryu Suzuki. He is a Dharma heir of Sojun Mel Weitsman, from whom he received Dharma transmission in 1988. Norman served as co-abbot of the San Francisco Zen Center from 1995–2000, after which he founded the Everyday Zen Foundation.
Norman will be in Tucson Feb 16-18 and will participate in a number community events sponsored by various Buddhist and arts groups.
Friday, February 16
- 3:30-4:30 p.m., colloquium, East Asian Studies / Buddhist Studies, Copper Room, UA Student Union.
- 7 p.m., Reading, UA Poetry Center, 1508 E. Helen Street, Tucson
Saturday, February 17
- 9:30-11:30 a.m.-Creative writing workshop and discussion, Tucson Osteopathic Medical Foundation (TOMF), 3182 N. Swan Road. Open to the public $20 suggested dana, cash/check at the door. Free to UA students with ID. Preregistration required: email@example.com.
- 1:30-4:30 p.m.—Upaya Sangha meditation sit and dharma talk, TOMF. Open to the public, $20 suggested dana, cash/check at the door. Free to UA students with ID. Preregistration required: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7:30 p.m. Reading, POG (Poetry Organizing Group of Tucson), with Tenney Nathanson, Steinfeld Warehouse, 101 W. Sixth Street. $5 admission, $3 students
Sunday Feb 18
- 1-4 p.m. Sky Island Zen sponsored Meditation, dharma talk, Q&A, hosted by Zen Desert Sangha at 3226 N Martin Av. Suggested dana $20 at the door. No preregistration.